In the early 1870s "Disciples of Christ" met in various schoolhouses in and around Kennett, They also held meetings at the courthouse and the Methodist Church. On May 18, 1889, the church was officially organized.
The first house of worship was constructed on the corner of Kennett and Third Streets in 1895. In the early 1920s the congregation desired a new church building, and they laid the cornerstone for the new building in 1925 at the corner of Washington and Jackson Streets.
Three decades later renovations began in the sanctuary, which reached completion in January of 1957. Later additions included the parking lot, concrete ramp, and organ. When the church received the family home of the late Ethel and Paul C. Jones in 1981, it became the parsonage and the former parsonage next to the church became the "annex" for the church office, minister's office, and classrooms.
On November 21, 2004, the congregation completed their next construction project and formally dedicated Mayes Fellowship Hall. This building replaced the annex and offers a wonderful space for fellowship, recreation, church offices, classrooms, and an up-to-date kitchen.
We Are Disciples!
Although our congregation is independently owned and operated by the local members of our church, we are in partnership with the broader movement of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ.) We trace our history back to the frontier movement that sought unity in the midst of the divisions that occurred in the church.
The chalice symbolizes the central place of communion in worship for the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). The X-shaped cross of the disciple Andrew is a reminder of the ministry of each person and the importance of evangelism.